HONORING THE FOUNDERS AND PILOTS OF SANTA PAULA AIPORT
The sepia-toned panel at left shows Ralph Dickenson's 1929 SM-2AC Stinson Detroiter, which he flew down the airport runway in August of 1930, officially opening the Santa Paula Airport. Dickenson, the mural's central figure, was the driving force behind the airport's development. Just right of Dickenson is Bill Hackbarth's restored 1918 De Havilland DH-4 which flew mail from Rock Springs, Wyoming to Salt Lake City, Utah until it crashed in 1922. Hackbarth brought the remains of the plane to Santa Paula Airport in 1965 to restore it. In 1967, he flew the plane across the United States and donated it to the Smithsonian Institution.